The Backpack Meals program supports children attending Anne Arundel County Public Schools (AACPS) who receive free/reduced breakfast and lunch, and are identified by the school Guidance Counselors as needing additional food resources over the weekend throughout the school year. With the help of a team of dedicated volunteers, we pack and deliver food to the participating schools to be given to the children by school administrators.
In the fall of 2009, several women in our congregation researched the idea of providing supplemental pre-packaged, non-perishable food items to elementary students in Crofton who participate in the free/reduced breakfast and lunch program (FARM) in AACPS. Teena Sallustio, with the support of Sue Goodall, modeled this program after one coordinated by members of Heritage Baptist Church on Forest Drive, Annapolis.
During the 2021-22 school year, the Community UMC Backpack Meals program served over 65 students weekly at Nantucket, Crofton Woods, and Crofton Elementary schools. In October 2022, we will add students at Crofton Meadows to our program. During the 2022-2023 school year, we will serve approximately 80 students across four elementary schools.
What’s in a Backpack Meal?
- two cartons of shelf-stable milk
- two bowls of dry cereal
- two individual packages of oatmeal
- one fruit cup (peaches, mixed fruit)
- one applesauce cup
- two granola bars
- one box of macaroni and cheese
- one can of ravioli, spaghettios or soup
- one pudding cup
- one fruit roll-up
- one salty snack (popcorn, pretzels, goldfish, trail mix)
- one 16 oz jar of peanut butter (every two weeks)
Support Backpack Meals
Our program relies on funding from Community UMC’s Mission Budget, and from the generous donations of food and funds from our members and community. You can personally help our mission by:
- Contributing to the September Side Offering
- Sponsoring a student with a $30-$40 donation/month (October-May)
- Donating food to our Item of the Month collection
The Backpack Meals Program is truly grateful for the generosity of our donors and volunteers. Thank you for your partnership in this mission!